New San Francisco Skyline

San Francisco’s skyline has been dominated by the Transamerica Pyramid and the BofA Center for decades. However, new SoMa construction and a proposed new project may change the city’s skyline forever. As we speak, construction of the One Rincon development is well underway. It is a huge $290 million two-tower complex right at the foot of the Bay Bridge that will transform the neighborhood and bring more clientele to the existing restaurants and shops in the SoMa area.

As if this weren’t exciting enough, there is talk of a 100+ story building going up a few blocks away above the new Transbay Terminal. San Francisco planners want to make a new center for downtown at the Transbay Terminal with a 1000+ foot tower that will become the tallest buiding west of Chicago, taller than even the U.S. Bank Tower in Los Angeles. At this time, nobody has bid to make the new buildings, but the discussions are underway.

I personally think that the Transamerica Pyramid has enjoyed a 35 year run as the center of the San Francisco skyline and it’s time to pass the torch. Chicago has a beautiful and tall downtown area and San Francisco is ripe for expansion. It hasn’t had a 50+ story development for over two decades and now has the opportunity to make a statement with these new towers. The city is progressive and ready for change–let the change begin.

1. I like the idea, but isn’t that whole SOMA area built on fill? And even though I know the Moscone area is bedrock, a 100-story building in SF might get a little bouncy in an earthquake.

Hey, I’m surprised you haven’t taken a crack at “Treasure Hunters” on your blog. My theory is that “the great treasure” they’re going to find is a copy of the U.S. Constitution.

#1 by Larry O’Brien — July 3, 2006 @ 10:12 am

2. I like it! I think its a great idea!.. it’ll add a new image and trademark for the pacific west and especially San Francisco.. go for it!

#2 by Shockerman — July 5, 2007 @ 12:55 am

3. I could not agree more. As a renter here, I say bring on the towers and may they spread to ALL neighborhoods!!

#3 by peter toscani — October 20, 2007 @ 12:11 pm

4. San Francisco already ranks in the top 5 for most high rises in the U.S., what more do they need. I see tons of cranes going up all over, and at least 20 more coming that have been approved at 300-1000 feet tall.

Here’s the tally of existing buildings by height threshold:

200FT 121 (3rd in the U.S.)
    300FT 85
    400FT 41
    500FT+ 16

#4 by Ken — October 30, 2007 @ 9:09 pm

5. i’d love to see a new and beautiful skyline that inspires more photography of our city. Each time I go over the bay bridge I like seeing the rincon tower nearing completion and anticipate more like it. Hopefully we’ll see a classic art deco design like the chrysler bldg in new york built here.

#5 by RJC — May 5, 2008 @ 11:46 pm

6. I agree, we need more tall buildings. I was in New York last week and thought that the city was breathtaking, not only in height but in beauty. Of course, with earthquakes being so prevalent here in San Francisco we would probably not build as high.

#6 by Nugget — May 6, 2008 @ 9:14 pm

7. God – who are you people?!? None of you could possibly be Bay Area natives, can everybody please just chill with all the pro-dev bullsh*t?

#7 by Bridget — October 5, 2008 @ 10:48 pm