The motto of the Animal Coffee website is “from cat to cup.” That’s because the Luwak, a marsupial that looks like a cat in the islands of Indonesia, climbs trees, eats the ripest coffee beans and shits them out in nice fermented clumps (pictured here). Local villagers go out and collect the droppings and sell them around the world for as much as $75 per pound. What started as, presumably, a way for lazy villagers to get coffee without harvesting the trees has since evolved into the world’s priciest specialty coffee. No joke, here’s an excerpt:

“To obtain beans while still in this state they must be collected almost immediately after they are deposited on the forest floor. Once they have been exposed to the elements for even a very short period, particularly in the rainy season, they break down into individual beans and we can no longer be sure that they are genuine kopi luwak.”

That’s right, cat shit coffee is serious business. If you want to charge someone $75 per pound for coffee you better make sure it’s coming out of a cat’s ass. Still, in stark contrast, I know the owner of Geek Acres (here’s their mascot mule), which produces the most labor intensive coffee in the world. I believe that one pound of Geek Acres may sell for more than $75 per pound.

1. Oh, we’ve got a special surprise for you this year! We’ve been wrapping coffee cherry in bacon and feeding it to a certain someone. This “Cheyenne’s Delight” has a distinct taste that you’ll remember for quite some time!

#1 by Larry O’Brien — June 22, 2006 @ 12:11 pm

2. Presumably the beans are washed before packaging?

I love the smell of cat shit of morning!

#2 by Paul — October 23, 2007 @ 6:26 pm

3. Hello my name is June Biggleworth. I love waking up in the morning to cat shit in my coffee. The thought might be a little off but the smell is just comediable. I never thought id be addicted to cat shit they way i am.
    CAT SHIT RULEZ

#3 by June — November 27, 2007 @ 3:42 pm

4. I HATE cat sh+t!
    My sister’s cat won’t stop sh+tting all over the place. Why would I want to drink that “cr+p”?

#4 by nam — January 4, 2008 @ 2:10 am

5. It doesn’t stop with coffee. Why not mix some cat shit into your breakfast cereal for an extra smooth taste (but with a lumpy texture)?

#5 by Dave — June 25, 2009 @ 6:46 pm

6. It seems disgusting but i had a cup of this stuff and its absolutely amazing! hands down, the best coffee ive ever had!

#6 by jacob — July 19, 2009 @ 1:01 am

7. Well gotta say it is pretty good. I have had this coffee on the menu for 3 years now and even the us Thunderbirds came here to Australia to drink it. Smooth full bodied and a chocolate aftertaste. hmmm yummmmy

#7 by Allan — January 21, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

8. This is hilarious, I just heard about cat shit coffee and googled it and lo and behold – Fabian’s site!!! How awesome is that!!!

#8 by Shannon — October 13, 2010 @ 10:52 am

9. Hey everyone I just had Kopi Luwak coffee the rarest coffee in the world. It was AMAZING!! Luwak Cafe has very low prices and they gave me a free sample as well. Check them out at Check them out Kopi Luwak Cafe

#9 by Rudy — January 30, 2011 @ 7:52 pm

10. Kopi Luwak coffee may sound disgusting to those with a sensitive imagination but it is in fact a delicious tasting coffee!

#10 by Popsh — April 23, 2011 @ 7:13 am