This is probably only going to make sense to auditors, but here it goes. What are the tell tale signs that everyone out there is losing their minds with the Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) act? The bags under the eyes, the stress, the lack of free time and vacation? Well yeah, but apparently a few people completely lost it and recorded a rap song. That’s right, a SOX parody rap song (MP3, 2.59MB)!

As an IT auditor, this song is near and dear to my heart. I work for one of the Big 4 accounting firms and we are working long hours with our clients to to complete SOX section 404. From the song’s production value, it’s clear that these guys put in a lot of hours–on the song anyway. I hope to find out who recorded it so that I can give them the props they deserve. It’s funny as hell.

For those that care, here’s the lyrics for the whole enchilada:

My name is Paul last name Sarbanes
Keep chuggin’ along I’ve heard all your pains
I know the days are long and the nights are short
But it’s really sad that people try to extort
And we couldn’t let things keep goin’ on
Cuz there’s a lot of companies like Enron
Yea the list is long but we think it’s for the best
We had to make it safe for everyone to invest

Yea well my name is Mike last name Oxley
Some think it’s overkill but please don’t knock me
We had to protect investors from fraud
We wanna minimize the risk for anyone could rob
I think me and Paul finally got it figured out
But I’m sure some of you will continue to doubt
We knew there was something that we had to do
And now you got the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002

Chorus:
Clockin’ lots of hours on section 404
I go to work early and I get home late
Clockin’ lots of hours on section 404
No time to waste, can’t miss the due date
Clockin’ lots of hours on section 404
I can pretty much kiss my vacation goodbye
Clockin’ lots of hours on section 404
I wish my fiscal year ended in July

I’m the SEC so don’t mess with me
I’m gonna tell you ’bout the PCAOB
They’re gonna show up at your front door,
Checkin’ out your section 404
So you gotta make sure that you get done
And I know for sure it’s not gonna be fun
You need to buckle down, you need to get your mind straight
Cuz this is something that rella just can’t wait

Yo my name’s COSO and I know control
So jump on board and get ready to roll
I brought this up back in ’92
But this is something that nobody wanted to do
Y’all probably know my acronym of crime
It just didn’t fit and it was hard to rhyme
But these are the things that you need to know
If you think you’re gonna make it in the big show

Chorus

Now we haven’t even talked about the Big Fat 4
Everybody knows, they’re the consultin’ whores
It’s bad enough when they only had audit
And now with SOX, now they know they really got it
PwC, E&Y, and Deloitte
KPMG, hell they all exploit
The partners at the top make all the cash
While the ones at the bottom have to bust their ass

Chorus and fade out

Please leave your comments about the song, maybe someday we’ll find out who actually recorded it. Big ups to Brad for sending me the file. This is probably going to kill my bandwidth, but it’s worth it.

1. If you’re worried about bandwidth, change the link to:

That’ll make people go through a Coral proxy. Works just as well, it’s sometimes even faster than the original, and it only hits your server once (or maybe once every so often — but they’re pretty spread out…).

For more info on Coral proxies, look at http://www.scs.cs.nyu.edu/coral/

#1 by Dave — December 16, 2004 @ 12:45 am

2. Thanks, Dave!

#2 by Nugget — December 16, 2004 @ 9:44 am

3. I never thought I would see the day that you referred to yourself as an “IT Auditor!” This can’t be good…….

#3 by christian — December 17, 2004 @ 7:45 pm

4. I believe this song is by a couple of Deloitte auditors. Forgot which office.

#4 by Ross — March 17, 2005 @ 6:01 pm

5. I’m speechless (typeless). I’m chillin in my hotel room in Scranton, PA and out of the blue I do a search for my song…”Clockin Lot’s of Hours” and BAM….The Daily Nugget has a thread about my song.

The last comment about a couple of Deloitte auditors is incorrect.

I produced and recorded it myself, but I’m not really looking for props. All my friends tell me I should have copyrighted it, but I just tell them it’s all good. I’m glad I could touch at least one person.

It was channeled through Deloitte thanks to my brother Jason Kidd…and no not the basketball player.

Sorry the song took so long to complete, but it was in my head for about a year before I layed down the tracks. I stayed home from church one Sunday to record the vocals. There’s another verse that I inserted at the first instrumental measure. Here it is:

My process map changed and now I have to go back
    Cause the subject matter expert really doesn’t know jack
    My control points listing and my narrative too
    Something I think like they don’t even know what they do
    But it’s ok………… and it’s allright………..
    Cause I’ll still be here on Saturday night

(Instrumental)

(Chours)

Then on to the big fat four.

This song originated from the ATL, aka-Hotlanta, the dirty south, the LA of the south, A-Town, or just plain freakin hot and humid.

Now if I could only get a job with the PCAOB, the average salary is $250,000. Of course they haven’t hired the grunts yet to drive down the average. Last I heard I wasn’t sure if congress approved their budget or not.

Oh well,

I could have added a ton more stuff about fourth quarter checklists and remediation testing, but went with what I knew at the time.

Special thanks to my bro for promoting my track.

His XBOX gamertag is, BillyKidd2k, send him a friends request.

Remember….you need to buckle down, you need to get your mind straight.

DK -OUT-

#5 by Toretto — March 23, 2005 @ 9:12 pm

6. Oh yea…..did anyone get the acronym of the CRIME part?

C ontrol Activities
    R isk Assessment
    I nformation & Communication
    M onitoring
    Control E nvironment

It just didn’t fit and it was hard to rhyme.

DK

#6 by Toretto — March 23, 2005 @ 9:21 pm

7. May we hope for a second song? Maybe about COSO II? btw. the best song to start up early and get home late…

#7 by michel — August 28, 2005 @ 3:32 am

8. YO – YO – YO… who da thought an internal auditor could come up with such creativity? thanks for sharing DK…it’s mighty sweet, and I quite appreciate the kudos about bustin’ a** =)

#8 by Kara — September 22, 2005 @ 2:59 pm

9. I want to dispell all rumors about this song. This song was written by a senior auditor at KPMG – Los Angeles named Sean Chapin. It was created in his living room using electronic computer equipment. Sean then transferred to the SF office. Sean has a website at http://www.garageband.com . Look up Sean Chapin on the website. He doesnt have this song posted b/c he did it as a joke and never thought it would get this big. He has other songs on the site, and you can obviously tell he created it based on his other music. Rock on, SEAN.

#9 by jason dembowski — October 5, 2005 @ 6:09 pm

10. Dude, I don’t think so. I work for the KPMG San Francisco office and nobody has even heard of a Sean Chapin. Sounds like bullshit to me.

#10 by Nugget — October 6, 2005 @ 12:15 am

11. Nugget, Nugget, Nugget…..

Sean was with the firm from about 2001 to 2003 or 2004, but spend most of his time in LA. He then transferred to SF early in 2004. Sounds like you got some bad information…

What’s your kpmg email, so I can email you from there?

#11 by jason dembowski — October 19, 2005 @ 8:19 am

12. There is no doubt Chapin worked for KPMG SF.

#12 by Chun-Li — November 3, 2005 @ 6:30 pm

13. I used to work with Sean on Macromedia. Show him some love. swchapin@dreyers.com

#13 by Macroking — November 4, 2005 @ 1:29 pm

14. What up Digital Kidd-

How funny is this!?! I’m in my hotel room in Dallas surfing the web and thought I’d see if Kara ever posted anything after they heard your song…and saw these random posts. One too many website plugs and song lists to fool anyone this Sean thing is legit, but man…how desperate do his PR people (or worse if a friend) have to be to pawn off someone else’s AUDIT rap as his own to promote his website…ouch!!!

#14 by Shell — November 8, 2005 @ 9:04 pm

15. Unless this Sean Chapin guy can come on this site and give everyone irrefutable proof of his involvement with the song, I’ll have to continue to credit DK from Atlanta for the song.

#15 by Nugget — November 8, 2005 @ 11:34 pm

16. Chapin may have worked for KPMG, but he sure as hell didn’t write the song. The song is cheesy enough and it’s a shame I freakin have to defend the rights to it.

I recorded everything in Protools and have the master tracks to prove it.

Someone didn’t learn the “Trust, but Verify” concept in auditng 101. Sounds like frauditing to me. I’ll refrain from taking any shots at KPMG just because of one dumb ass.

Don’t worry – it’s legit and thanks to those of you for sticking up for me.

#16 by Toretto — November 9, 2005 @ 9:19 pm

17. Jothan and Jason are correct. Sean Chapin worked in the SF office and he legit as they come. He might not flow like G-unit but his rhymes have been corroborated.

#17 by Thompson Wu — November 14, 2005 @ 12:05 pm

18. I don’t doubt that Sean Chapin is a good guy with some musical chops, but he didn’t work on this song! If he did, he lied to all of you! As an auditor, I can attest that there is evidence that DK wrote this song, not Sean Chapin. DK has the Protools masters to prove his position, period.

#18 by Nugget — November 14, 2005 @ 7:51 pm

19. Who is this guy Sean Chapin. Can someone look this guy up!? do a background check!

#19 by Blaze — November 14, 2005 @ 7:57 pm

20. Man……. This guy Sean is trying to take credit for DK’s stuff. This guy is a punk. He needs to come on this site and provide proof that this is his track. One of you KPMGers should email the guy to clear the air…

#20 by ATL Forever — November 14, 2005 @ 8:24 pm

21. This is the biggest freaking joke ever. I don’t know who this guy is that’s saying this song is from some guy in San Fransisco but it’s pretty pathetic. It is 100% certain that this is the work of DK/Toretto. Oh yeah, and it was not “created in his living room using using electronic computer equipment.” How stupid was that comment? We are sitting here tonight at Toretto’s laughing because someone is trying to take credit for a song he made as a joke about SOX. Funny how there are multiple people (including the DK himself) on here saying that it’s his and yet this other clown is nowhere to be found.

#21 by XBooger — December 3, 2005 @ 6:18 pm

22. A friend asked me if I ever “googled” my name, so I did, and look what I stepped into!!

OK, so Jason Dembowski was a buddy of mine during our KPMG days a few years ago (what up!!), and he’s right that I did write an audit song. However, it’s not this one here. Mine’s called “Question Answer,” and I’ll post it on my garageband website for all to hear in the next day two (click on URL).

BIG props to the SOX song, I’m really digging it! Whoever did it, great job.

#22 by Sean Chapin — May 19, 2006 @ 10:13 pm

23. PS…to everyone at the KPMG SF office and Jason (PWC Pittsburgh)…HEY ALL! Hope the summer’s treating you all well so far. HIt me back at sean_chapin@yahoo, if anyone is still reading this thread.

#23 by Sean Chapin — May 19, 2006 @ 10:18 pm

24. Very decent of Sean to post. Hopefully Jason just let his little man-crush get the better of him and he’s not always this big a dumbshit.

#24 by Shell — September 20, 2006 @ 9:23 pm

25. Hi! Just had to write a comment here… I am working as a SOX IT coordinator in a big metal industry company based in Finland (Nothern Europe…). We are listed in NYSE so year 2006 was the first SOX year for us. The year end 2006 was quite painful and hectic for me but thank god a friend who knows I work in SOX area (together with Deloitte and PwC…) found this song and sent it to me. I just love it and have been spreading it around in our corporation…

Thanks to the author also from the distant and cold country of Finland :)

#25 by Miltzu — January 4, 2007 @ 8:36 am

26. man how wierd i googled my name to see what would come up and someone has my name how wierd, im an mc and hip hop activist out of hayward ca. i will look into this cat from frisco to see whats realy going on, peace

#26 by THE REAL SEAN CHAPIN — October 3, 2007 @ 8:34 am

27. Guys, I really can’t believe this!!!!

I was looking so long for the title and the author, it was just known as “SOX-Rap” to me (and my colleagues)

This song helped me through soooo many very long nights during my time with KPMG…

I still love this song, also I left KPMG nearly 7 years ago now…

And perhaps just for you to know that your song has spread worldwide, I’m from Germany.

#27 by Athena — June 13, 2012 @ 7:30 am