Eyeball PiercingIt seems as though you can get your eyeballs pierced in Amsterdam. I can’t imagine having a piece of metal in my eye. I have enough trouble with an eyelash. What about people with contacts?? Crazy.

1. Anyone from Amsterdam pissed off that I posted this tidbit and identified the location of this new trend?

#1 by Meerenai — April 8, 2004 @ 8:45 am

2. That’s more scary than getting a piercing on one’s genitals. I personally don’t see the fascination with self-mutilation. Different strokes I guess.

#2 by Nugget — April 8, 2004 @ 11:38 am

3. Five years down the line, maybe these people will go blind , We do not know the consequences. Remember thalidomyde babies.

#3 by diane — April 19, 2004 @ 7:26 am

4. There are already some people who are suffering problems with their sight and infections as a result of this procedure although this has not been widely reported in the media yet. Inserting a foreign object into your conjunctiva can never be a 100% safe process and should definitely be avoided at all costs!

#4 by Chris Johnys — April 21, 2004 @ 7:06 am

5. that is the stupidest thing. ever. eurgh.

#5 by Gemma the Zombie — April 23, 2004 @ 9:39 am

6. It’s beautiful, I am thrilled someone finally perfected the technique to make this a permanant sort of insert.

If you actually bothered to read up on the procedure, you’ld know that it causes no problems with vision. The only people who have had problems are 2 who didn’t clean them properly, and it has been reported in a whole bunch of piercing magazines. The area of the eye that the jewelry is inserted into is nothing more than white flesh, and cutting away that white flesh has no impact on your vision.

The technique used to insert the jewelry is similar to a technique used to re-shape eyes, which also has an identical care programme for afterwards (5mm of a specially made anti-septic cream, or anti-septic eyedrops put onto the eye 3 times a day) theres also a very similar care programme for anyone with minor eyelid infections, or accidental cuts on the eyeball. If it gets infected, it’s not because of what they had done, it’s because they didn’t care for it properly afterwards.

It would cause no problems if you wore contacts either, since your contact sits on top of your iris, and the insert is not in your iris it’s in the cornea, which you do not see out of.

It’s also nothing like when an eyelash falls into your eye, as the eyelash hurts because it sticks into and irritates the top layer of the eye, which the metal is placed under. They make a perfectly shaped hole in the cornea for the instert before they put it in, and none of the edges are spikey they’re all rounded off and perfectly smooth.

More info for those of you still ignorant:

and

These should be read before making stupid suggestions that the person with this insert will go blind.

For those of you who don’t understand self “mutulation”, you probabally have something in your life, which some other people don’t which identifies you as part of a group. Self modification is one of the oldest pratices known to man, marking ones self, in a tribal way, to make oneself different from another. It’s about belonging to a group, while making your markings sagnificantly different enough from others markings that you are still yourself. So it’s about, belonging, and being an individual.

#6 by Toria the Modified — June 2, 2004 @ 5:35 am

7. Wow, Toria, you are really into this shit! Self “mutulation” as a vehicle for self-expression. Ok, maybe. But you should learn how to spell mutilation first. Thanks for the commercial, if I didn’t know any better I’d say that you work in the eyeball piercing industry…

#7 by Nugget — June 3, 2004 @ 10:14 am

8. thats sick- joe was tellin the truth!!!

#8 by steph — June 6, 2004 @ 9:02 am

9. Selection of 14 more comments from doctors, religious people and the multi-pierced –

Comments on JewelEye

#9 by Bill — June 15, 2004 @ 9:33 am

10. what the hell happens when your eye is itchy and u rubb it….will your eyes rip or something…

#10 by judy — September 4, 2004 @ 12:43 pm

11. I cannot believe that people are piercing their eye balls! Thats sick! Sure it looks cool, but, even though the part you pierce is just the white part any infection you get, which you could get even if you clean it properly, could spread to other important areas of your eye. YOU COULD GO BLIND! Its always a possibility. Expect the unexpected right. You people who think its impossible to have something go wrong, like Tori the modified, are ignorant, not the people who dont want to risk their vision. If you wanna go and get your EYEBALL pierced be my guest, but im not gonna go and get it done.

#11 by Shadow — December 14, 2006 @ 8:03 am

12. some people prefer the aesthetics of piercing or implants over the risks.

some folks are ignorant of the possible side effects. but I dont see you calling women who get silicone breast implants ignorant or sick. that is much more invasive and has a longer healing time etc.

if you dont like it, dont do it.

#12 by Garnetmoth — May 20, 2007 @ 6:05 am

13. Way to pick on a typo, Nugget. If you’ll noticed, she spelled it right the second time, and she’s got a stronger point than you do, as well. Watch your language.

#13 by Emily — February 28, 2008 @ 10:27 pm

14. Normally I am not much into self mutilation as I don’t really feel the need to be a part of a group and being complete nor do I believe that it would help me to achieve any of them.
    This in particular… Doesn’t seem like that hardcore. I’d be lucky if this particular form of modification would even shock me if I compare some things I’ve seen this week (Oh, god, if I could unsee some of those. Eg. Emo Cutter Girl… She f#king reaches the bone! What the hell!? And what about 1guy1jar [You shouldn’t watch it if you have a weak stomach… Or want to sleep]).
    So yeah, I’ve seen far worse to the extent that this falls in the category of pretty.
    I mean… I shinny pimple on your eye. People will look at it and will go “Oh, how cute, it’s a little heart!” and yes, there are some extreme side-effects that could occur as an infection which could kill you.
    But it’s too clinical.
    It’s just a surgery.
    Considering wheather this is right or wrong is… Meh, wtf for?

#14 by Edward — December 22, 2008 @ 6:04 pm