“You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back!”
–Vincent Freeman (Ethan Hawke), Gattaca, 1997

I just watched Gattaca, one of my favorite films on the Sci-Fi channel. It is the amazing story of someone who was told by society that he wouldn’t amount to anything, but through hard work and perseverance, he fulfilled his dreams of going to the stars. We could all learn a little from Vincent Freeman. I guess you have to see the film to understand the quote. I am totally using it as inspiration for getting me through school right now. Rock on!

1. I love that movie…

#1 by Meerenai — November 16, 2003 @ 12:37 pm

2. The quote is wonderful. The movie truly is a triumph of the spirit. I use the quote to instruct people in what Faith requires. That when engaging in acts of Faith, you should put all your energy toward it and “Save nothing for the swim back.”

#2 by Adam Gaha — February 7, 2004 @ 11:22 am

3. i love that movie too..

#3 by sb — April 2, 2005 @ 7:37 am

4. Yea, we watched that in Biology. I absolutely love that quote.

For NJROTC we have a drill meet coming up, and I have to run the anchor of a one-mile relay (a quarter mile per person, four people), and I’m using that quote as inspiration. Today we practiced for it, and I tore my feet apart running it. I ran it in 39 seconds. Because I used that philosophy. I constantly said to myself “Save nothing for the swim back. Save nothing for the swim back.” But, now my feet are torn apart. Luckily I have until the competition next Saturday for them to heal. They’ll make it. And if they don’t, I’ll still run my hardest.

#4 by Tom — May 11, 2005 @ 4:07 pm

5. such an amazing and touching movie! this is my favourite scene. i really admire Vincent’s courage and determination. he’s my fictional role model!

#5 by sp — October 29, 2008 @ 10:28 pm

6. okay tom, beating the world record by 4 seconds are we?

#6 by Nick — May 8, 2011 @ 10:27 pm