I guess not everybody knows about the In-n-Out secret menu. So for all of those that did not grow up in Southern California, here it is:

“3-by-3” = three meat patties and three slices of cheese.
“4-by-4” = four meat patties and four slices of cheese.
“2-by-4” = two meat patties and four slices of cheese.

Note: You can get a burger with as many meat paties or cheese slices as you want. Just tell the cashier how many meat paties and how much cheese you want and that is what you’ll get! For instance, if you want 2 pieces of meat and 6 pieces of cheese tell them you want a “2-by-6.”

“Animal Style” = the meat is grilled with mustard, then pickles, extra spread, and grilled onions are added.
“Whole Grilled Onions” = onions are grilled whole and not chopped like animal style.
“Double Meat” = like a Double Double without cheese.
“3-by-Meat” = three meat patties and no cheese.
“Animal Style Fries” = fries with cheese, spread, grilled onions.
“Protein Style” = this is a burger with no bun, wrapped in lettuce.
“Grilled Cheese” = no meat, but everything else.
“Extra Toast” = buns are extra toasted giving them a crunchy texture.
“Veggie Burger” = aka “Wish Burger,” burger without patty or cheese.
“On the Sal” = this is just lettuce and dressing. Nothing else.
“Animal Fries” = fries with melted cheese, grilled onions, and dressing.
“Fries Well-Done” = extra crispy fries, even better than the regular!
“Fries Light” = opposite of fries well-done, more raw than usual.
“Flying Dutchman” = two meat patties, two slices of melted cheese–nothing else–not even a bun!
“Neopolitan Shake” = strawberry, vanilla and chocolate shake.
“Choco-Vanilla Swirl Shake” = chocolate and vanilla swirled together to perfection.
“Lemon-Up” = half lemonade and half 7-up drink.
“Root Beer Special” = half root beer and half Dr. Pepper
“Tea-Ade” = half iced tea and half lemonade.

Other Trivia and Lingo:

“100-by-100” = legend has it that this was ordered by a group of four celebrating a birthday. However, according to an employee, the largest order ever filled was “50-by-50.”
“500-by-500” = a bogus order made by a fraternity–it wasn’t filled.
“Volcano Top” = years ago they would hollow out the bread bun and fill it with extra ketchup. However, according to an employee, they are not allowed to touch the bun after the burger is made now so this doesn’t exist anymore.
“Home Run” = this is when a car passes by the microphone without ordering and cruises right up to the service window.
“Homeless Style” = cheese, grilled onions, and spread left over on wrapper after one has consumed burger. Usually found in trash cans or trays left on picnic tables.

1. Perhaps one day I will work in Cali. I will eat at In-n-Out everyday. I will weigh 400lbs. I will not care.

#1 by Jimnice — July 22, 2003 @ 1:23 am

2. Oh, yeah!!! All of the wrappers, containers, and drink cups have bible passages printed underneath them. This leads many people to believe that the burger joint is a cult, but far from it. The owners are just deeply religious.

Here are some of the passages:

REVELATION 3:20 (burger and cheeseburger wrappers): Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and eat with him, and he with me.

JOHN 3:16 (soda cups): For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

PROVERBS 3:15 (milkshake cups): She is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her. (Damn, that’s one helluva milkshake!)

NAHUM 1:7 (Double-Double wrapper): The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; he knows those that trust in him.

JOHN 14:6 (water cups): Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Also, here’s a local story that ran in the San Francisco Chronicle a few years ago that talks about this.

#2 by Nugget — July 23, 2003 @ 1:16 am

3. What about the “secret messages” printed on their wrappers, drink cups and fry trays?

#3 by JJ — July 23, 2003 @ 12:38 pm

4. closure

Closed on my house last weekend. Yay for debt. Spent Labor Day weekend in San Francisco hanging out with Luke.

#4 by chizang — September 3, 2003 @ 1:26 am

5. seems weird that no one mentions fried animals = animal style fries. they’re fries with melted chessed on top with the grilled onions and thousand isalnds dressing

#5 by jerome — November 11, 2003 @ 3:39 am

6. Damn, you’re right! I added “animal fries” to the menu just for you, Jerome. Thanks.

#6 by Nugget — November 11, 2003 @ 4:29 am

7. No one ever mentions the Lemon-Up….Half Lemonaid, half Seven-Up. I always order it. See, their menu is more secret than anyone thought.

#7 by bunny — November 12, 2003 @ 1:30 am

8. I once asked in the drive-thru “can you fill my drink with half lemonade and half seven-up?” the answer was “Ok, you want a Lemon-Up, anything else?” Lo and behold, the receipt said “Med Lemon-Up”

#8 by chris — November 16, 2003 @ 1:19 am

9. Just added Lemon-Up to the list. Thanks guys. I wonder if I am missing anything else.

#9 by Nugget — November 16, 2003 @ 1:29 am

10. I was in a San Diego In and Out a few days ago and heard someone mention “Extra Toast”. When I got up to the register, I asked what it meant and he told me “an extra crunchy bun”. Well, I HAD to have that and it was great!!

#10 by georgie girl — November 23, 2003 @ 10:09 am

11. Cool, just added Extra Toast to the list as well!

#11 by Nugget — November 23, 2003 @ 10:25 am

12. But how can you get onion rings?

#12 by chris — January 5, 2004 @ 2:15 am

13. I saw another site say that the Volcano Top does not exist. Can anyone confirm this?

#13 by Seamus — January 15, 2004 @ 5:31 am

14. Correction – the last message should have said that the “Old Fashioned Style” does not exist. Anyone know?
    Here is the site: http://www.zenlemur.com/innout.shtml

#14 by Seamus — January 15, 2004 @ 5:42 am

15. Hey i work for IN-N-OUT n their r a few things that dont exist lyke old fashion… that is the same as ketchup n mustard insted of spread… volcano top doesnt exist… we cant touch the bread of the burger after its made… plus the rumors r not true… the biggest burger we ever sold was a 50 by 50 u should as post up…. rootbeer special…. rootbeer n dr. pepper… tea-ade tea n lemonade

#15 by ino WORKER — January 18, 2004 @ 10:09 am

16. Cool, I’ll update the list with your comments–thanks! I know the “Volcano Top” existed when I was ten-years-old, so if it doesn’t exist anymore, I’ll move it to the bottom of the list. Also, you are not the first to say that “Old Fashioned” doesn’t exist, so I’ll remove it.

The list is coming along nicely–I think it is the definitive In-n-Out Secret Menu page on the Internet! Thank you all for your comments and continued support!

#16 by Nugget — January 19, 2004 @ 8:43 am

17. Two Words…..YOU ROCK!! Thanks for this Menu it’s the best on the web. Ive lived in cali for 26 years now and just found out about AS Fries….(5 Pounds later)

#17 by Dexx — January 25, 2004 @ 8:51 am

18. Hey wat about the onion rings? is it possible to get them at in n out??

#18 by Tran — January 27, 2004 @ 9:34 am

19. Nope, there are no onion rings at In-n-Out.

#19 by Nugget — January 27, 2004 @ 10:51 am

20. You can also order a magnum style. They put a revolver between buns, there’s cheese, and matchsticks, and the bullets come with the drink. You have to assemble it later though because they only give it to you on the drive-through.

#20 by Nick — January 31, 2004 @ 11:48 am

21. i was born & raised & live in southern california, and i eat in n out 4×8 meal everyday, and i still weigh 120#. lol. no exercise and no throwing up. pure high metabolism & a hyper thyroid gland. but hey, thanks for the other things i can order. i’m gonna get the neopolitan shake now.

#21 by jimmy — February 1, 2004 @ 4:38 am

22. they make root beer floats also. mm mm.

#22 by danielle — February 5, 2004 @ 4:51 am

23. i get cheese fries… just fries with 2 slices of cheese or as many as you want on top

#23 by marques — February 11, 2004 @ 8:09 am

24. Jimmy you are my hero. I would give anything to have a metabolism that high. YOU ARE A GOD!

#24 by Roger — February 17, 2004 @ 2:53 am

25. And depending on your location (I’m in Las Vegas) you can get Chilli Cheese fries. Was supprised as hell when the person in front of me got it *shrug*

#25 by Kermit007 — February 18, 2004 @ 12:57 pm

26. How could you have this and not mention “whole grilled onions”? My fave is a cheeseburger with whole grilled onions *only* — i.e. bun, meat, cheese, and whole grilled onions.

Note that you can also get “grilled onions” on your burger, which is the chopped kind you get with animal style. Now where’s the 24-hour In-N-Out? -.-

#26 by . — February 20, 2004 @ 2:35 am

27. You can really get WHOLE GRILLED ONIONS? tell me now is that really true? And if so can you get whole grilled onions animal style w/ all that cheese???

#27 by Tran — March 17, 2004 @ 8:31 am

28. Hey i would just like to say thanx for the secret menu i hade some fries animal style and they were the best! I think you should add mor secret menus to this like how to make a mcdonals burger and different things like that. well thats my story

#28 by Fubar — March 25, 2004 @ 10:00 am

29. What A Hamburger’s All About

It’s nice to see the best burger in the country getting some great exposure. The best part about In-n-Out is the “Secret In-n-Out Menu.” With locations in California, Nevada and Arizona, you can find out more at http://www.in-n-out.com. It seems the bi…

#29 by Jeff Doolittle dot com — March 26, 2004 @ 9:29 am

30. I wanted 2 say that this menu did me good and thankes. One time my friend gave bogus info about a burger called a rodiac burger. I tried to order it and I looked stupid now I cant be fooled by anyone thankes 2 u guys thankes a lot. Animal-Styel fries rule!!! Peace-out…….

#30 by Erick — March 29, 2004 @ 1:07 am

31. what’s in ‘n out?

#31 by dong — April 2, 2004 @ 6:40 am

32. will you please tell me how much the menu items cost?

#32 by chris — April 3, 2004 @ 1:28 am

33. How do you get root beer floats???

#33 by Matt — April 3, 2004 @ 4:34 am

34. If you don’t like the spread that comes on the burgers, you can always ask for “Ketchup Instead” I like it because it is a fair bit healthier and I’m not a big fan of 1000 island anyway.

#34 by Gordon — April 4, 2004 @ 3:08 am

35. Homeless Style–Cheese, grilled onions and spread left over on wrapper after one has consumed burger. Usually found in trash cans or trays left on picnic table.

#35 by googliata — May 17, 2004 @ 12:30 pm

36. you can also get a burger smaller than the ordinary burgers by saying u want ur burger “micro” sized. you can also get a root beer by telling the server u want a “cool one with a santa beard on the side” ive done it before so go ahead and use it if u want.

#36 by mimi — May 18, 2004 @ 4:01 am

37. I don’t know if this is just a So. Cal thing but at the San Diego In-N-Outs you can ask for yellow chilis (the little chilis in vinegar). They are super good with the burgers!

#37 by tina — June 4, 2004 @ 9:15 am

38. You can also order an “Around the world” which is 1 double-double 1 cheese burger and 1 hamburger. Or order an ” Around the world with a cheese chaser” which adds another cheesburger.

#38 by Fred — June 5, 2004 @ 9:31 am

39. Hey everyone! Cool site. I work at In n Out also, which is prly why I’m at this site. Its hard not to be obssesed with that place. But I work in AZ and we have the yellow peppers, too. Also, you can order a side of nething u want. Be it the peppers, the spread, pickles, even lettuce. You can also order the cheese cold if you want, you can cut your burger into halves or fourths, and alotta the stuff people have said on this site rnt true. Maybe they used to be, but a lot of the old fashion stuff would make no sense to employees now-a-days. Oh, and you’ll never be able to write down the entire secret menu bc each burger and fry is made exactly how u want it. So, whether your a human or a dog (people order flying dutchmans and single patties for them all the time), you know you’ll be satisfied when eating at In n Out.

#39 by Marci — June 26, 2004 @ 4:22 am

40. dude root beer floats are awesome, and some people at my in-n-ou order scooby snacks, wich are pieces of fried cheese left on the grill and thrown on your fries. just letting you know incase you hear somebody asking for scoobies!

#40 by kevin — July 4, 2004 @ 12:47 pm

41. yeah, u can get peppers.. i think they’re called peppercinis or something like that…. basically, when the counter handout person calls your number and you come with your receipt to claim your food, ask for yellow pepper (unless you want black pepper also)…. we also have mustard beneath the counter also, but yeah, you can get your bun lightly toasted, or not toasted at all also.. if you’re going through the drive through, you can get your drink with “heavy ice” which means that its filled 3/4 with ice… full ice, your cup is filled completely with ice (and drink choice of course), light ice, your cup is filled with 1/4 filled with ice, no ice in your cup, just all soda or lemonade, and you can also get lemons in your sodas… if you want, you can also get pickles on your burgers, you can get both grilled onions and raw onions on your burger, and if the host wants an update on the largest burger eaten by 1 person its a 48×48, eaten at the best store in the world, 120!!!!!! you can also get your fries light well done.. which means that your fries are pulled a little later than regular, but sooner than well done, and then theres extra well done. you can also get your burger cooked well done, or medium rare… oh yeah i work at store 120!! pinole!! yeahh!!! so if u have any questions, i could probably answer them for you…. and no, we don’t have hot sauce, bacon, or bbq sauce, unfortunately….

#41 by lyn — July 6, 2004 @ 11:30 am

42. someday…….. i will eat a 123×123 at store 120…..

#42 by ian — July 6, 2004 @ 11:33 am

43. or would that be a 120×120 at store 120….. ar har har……….

#43 by ian — July 6, 2004 @ 11:35 am

44. oh yeah, and if you want a paper hat, go ahead and ask, we give those out free… along with stickers, applications, and location guides…. ohh yeahh if u need spoons, knives, or forks, we have those too, ask the counter person for the utencils, and ask the cashier for the other stuff

#44 by lyn — July 6, 2004 @ 11:49 am

45. HEY I HEARD THAT IF U ASK FOR “DIRTY WATER” YOU GET A FREE CHOCOLATE SHAKE!

#45 by renee — July 9, 2004 @ 10:12 am

46. this thing is awesome
    how do they package a ‘flying dutchman’?
    sounds good

#46 by J — July 10, 2004 @ 9:49 am

47. flying dutchman? they just place it on top of a regular wrapper… the wrappers they wrap a dd/dm/or single patty burger in… however, it might be inside that wrapper if you get it to go.. i’ve only seen one in my 5 weeks so far, but thats how it was packaged…

#47 by lyn — July 10, 2004 @ 11:21 am

48. dirty water??? hahahah i’m sure if you asked for it, the counter order person would be confused.. i highly doubt you’d get a free choc. shake, but i’ll ask someone tomorrow about that…

#48 by lyn — July 10, 2004 @ 11:23 am

49. i had ordered 5×5 and 6×6 before, but not sure if it printed on the receipt.

#49 by Eugene — July 12, 2004 @ 12:28 pm

50. the reason why it didn’t show up on your receipt is because there really isn’t a 5×5 or a 6×6… its not on the order menu because there aren’t many people who order that… though you can order it, basically what the person at the register does, it presses 4×4, and adds a meat and cheese accordingly to get your desired burger. you can get as many meats and cheeses on your burger as you’d like…

#50 by lyn — July 14, 2004 @ 10:32 am

51. the reciepts should have an outline of a cow on the back and everytime you order at in n out, you add a little part of the cow to it. my plan is to eat a whole cow.
    and then when you complete it, you win a nice helping of heart attack.

#51 by ian — July 14, 2004 @ 10:37 am

52. oh yeah here are some prices, if anyone is interested:
    a 3×3 is 3.84 including tax
    a 4×4 is 4.81 including tax
    a 5×5 is 5.78 including tax
    a 6×6 is 6.75 including tax

a 120×120 is 117.33 including tax (good luck ian!)

for every meat and cheese you want to add to your burger over a 6×6 then thats .97 including tax
    for every cheese you want to add to anything its .27 including tax, and every meat is .7 including tax

#52 by lyn — July 14, 2004 @ 11:01 am

53. animal fries are 2.27 including tax

animal style burger, whole grilled, protein style, extra toast, no toast, light toast buns, fries well/light well/light, mixed shakes, lemon up, and tea ade, cost nothing extra

#53 by lyn — July 15, 2004 @ 11:41 am

54. I believe those Bible quotes were taken from my In-N-Out page, check it out I am currently in the process of updating the Secret Menu Items list (some are incorrect, some are missing) and adding to the Bible quotes list: http://www.yumfood.net/reviews/ca/pinole/in-n-out.html

#54 by Danette — July 20, 2004 @ 6:02 am

55. i was at in-n-out the other day and the guy in front of me ordered a ‘double chocolate shake’ and a ‘double vanilla shake.’ he was explaining it to his friend, so keep in mind that i was overhearing all this. but i think he said something along the lines of the shake being almost twice as sweet as normal becuase they let more syrup go in, or something along those lines. regardless, i know that’s what he ordered, and the workers didn’t think twice about what he was asking for.

#55 by vicky — July 28, 2004 @ 3:36 am

56. This is awesome… This is the best menu Iv’e seen on the web. I work at In n out as well.. Half the stuff on the secret menu isnt even on the cash register menu.. we have to put it in ourselves. Someone once asked me if we served tacos they said they had had tacos at another in n out location before… i was like O_O WHAT? no no no… so just wondering for anone else that works there.. do you serve tacos… I highly doubt it but it may be possible… And personally.. I think the veggie burgers are stupid.. its just lettuce tomatoes and onion on a bun… i find that dumb.. someone ordered 4 of those today and i was like O_o odd… no one ever orders those.. but heh yeah.. anyways.. thanks.

#56 by Renee — August 11, 2004 @ 9:27 am

57. hahahaha we have an associate named taco over at store 120, but we don’t have tacos….

#57 by lyn — August 13, 2004 @ 2:05 am

58. oh yeah a rootbeer float costs like…. 2.27 i think…. its 2.10 + tax.. or a large vanilla special…. oh yeah and if u didn’t know, you can get ur raw onions chopped, and ur burger fried in mustard (MFD)… like animal style without the rest of the stuff

#58 by lyn — August 13, 2004 @ 2:08 am

59. I think that IN-n-out should post this menu because they would just make more money. How is anyone suppose to know about this menu. I know about it from my freinds brothers FRIENDS SISTER. IT DOSEN’T MAKE SENSE

#59 by Terra — August 18, 2004 @ 9:17 am

60. once i went to in nd out, and i got a 6 pound burger. I had to have surgery on my heart, but i enjoyed it never the les. In and Out is my favorite restaurant because its the only one i can walk to. I weigh 345 pounds and anything more than 2 blocks is just too much! FAT PEOPLE REPRESENT

#60 by Ophelia — August 18, 2004 @ 12:11 pm

61. I Work at a store in San Diego… I have heard from my manager that there was a 300×300 burger made at store 73 in el cajon. Personally, the largest burger i have ever recived as an order was a 12×12. I found the guy who ordered it in the bathroom a little later…

And for some additions to your secret menu…
    Although no one at in-n-out will like you for this, but if you ask for a large root beer float you can get one. currently they are priced at $2.42. same as a large shake.

Another drink that might make you unpopular is a starberry soda. I know we can make them with the straberry shake syrup and 7-up but i don’t know if your order taker would know how to. I have them all the time.. its sort of like a shirly temple.

O WHERE IS STORE 120?

#61 by C Dog — August 26, 2004 @ 2:30 am

62. I Work at a store in San Diego… my 2nd post… JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS there are no in-n-out stored that sell onion rings, chilli cheese fries, or have any bacon, bbq sauce, there is no magnum style, NO MONSTER STYLE, and plese don’t order doggy style… There is no longer volcano style, or old fashioned style, and after 4 months at in-n-out have yet to hear the term “homeless style”. And at my in-n-out when another associate asks for an around the world, it means they want me to go pour one vanilla shake, one chocolate, and stawbery. Im tired.

#62 by C Dog — August 26, 2004 @ 2:48 am

63. Hey there… I work at In-n-Out too. (#165!!) One of my managers makes sloppy joes and they’re friggin YUMMY. While he’s cooking a meat patty or two he chops them up with his spatula and makes a sort of sloppy joe sauce with some ketchup, mustard, and a bit of sugar too. He mixes it all together while it’s cooking and then melts some cheese on top of it before he pulls it onto a plain bun. MMMM sooo good. I wouldn’t ask for this at a store though … because this is something I’ve only seen one person do. And even HE gets mad if we ask him to make it .. cuz it is sort of a hassle. If u work there though.. try it sometime when it’s not busy. (Like it’s ever not busy).

#63 by JRah — September 25, 2004 @ 2:55 am

64. I was wondering how much the stuff on the secret menu costs?

#64 by Beryl — October 7, 2004 @ 11:03 am

65. At Vegas in 1997, they had signs in the display cases with secret menu items. Instead of “Wish Burger”, it was called “LTO” (lettuce, tomato and onion; 95). It also had grilled cheese (2 slices, $1.35), double meat ($2.00), 3×3 ($3.10) and 4×4 ($3.90). Looks like prices have gone up a bit.

#65 by tingly — November 22, 2004 @ 1:43 am

66. John 3:16 is also on the bottom of the little soda cup antenna toppers.

#66 by tingly — November 27, 2004 @ 3:13 pm

67. 120 is in pinole (bay area, ca) u can go to the ino website and look up locations to find it and see a picture when u click the link

#67 by lyn — January 6, 2005 @ 8:57 pm

68. Pinole is the store that is pictured in wikipedia. I wish they still put store numbers on the store lists. I have old one that has 106 numbered. BTW, on some outdoor walk-up windows, they have a granite counter with the store’s opening month/year etched into it.

I’ve tried to figure out the receipts and I’m stumped on 1 thing. The top is your order number. The store name is underneath that. Then it’s the order’s date and time. Then there’s 4 numbers.

The first of the 4 is the store number. The 2nd is the cash register number (numbered R-to-L on the customer’s side.) The 4th number is a repeat of the order number from the top line. What’s the 3rd number for?

My other mystery is what “on the sal” is. Is it a part of a burger order (get your burger’s lettuce/sauce on the side as a salad)? Or, is it its own thing, a weird way of ordering a simple salad? I ordered it once and the fetched manager was about to explain to the confused cashier what it was and how to ring it up, but I changed my order like a moron. :P

BTW, I tried a root beer float. I’ve been to most of the stores (including #120) and had NO clue about that and a bunch of other stuff on this webpage. It’s more like a root beer shake than a float. yum!

#68 by tingly — January 14, 2005 @ 2:05 am

69. Just noticed that the wiki site has a few things that haven’t been mentioned or sorta mentioned. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_and_Out_Burger

#69 by tingly — January 14, 2005 @ 2:11 am

70. I was going to use this as an example for the numbers question, but couldn’t find it until now. http://www.zenlemur.com/innout.shtml

154 means the SF store is In-n-Out #154.
    3 means the customer went to the left register.
    34 is the mystery number.
    3488 is supposed to say “77”, so there’s another mystery. Maybe it means order #348877.

#70 by tingly — January 17, 2005 @ 2:54 am

71. Here’s a receipt with a proper 4th number. ;) They bought a 20×20. :o The receipt says a 16×16 and a 4×4, but apparently they were combined.

#71 by tingly — January 17, 2005 @ 3:34 pm

72. sometimes the computer malfunctions and thats why the drive numbers often have 4 digits, though im not sure why… (stupid computers), but the 3rd number is actually your server’s number… whomever helps you with your order (that is, takes the money), all the tags create a daily account of that person’s total money made for that one person’s drawer… sometimes an associate can not help you because they do not personally own that drawer, therefore, they can’t give change since you could be liable for making that person short, or you could be stealing money (the managers don’t know)… every individual who works at the store has their own two digit login number (like a password) in order to access the terminal and begin taking orders, the third number that appears on the receipt is that person’s login number.

#72 by lyn — January 26, 2005 @ 6:07 pm

73. *phew* I was feeling guilty for taking this over. Thanks, Lyn. I have a vague memories of hitting #120. I took Hwy. 4 to get there, it was night and I remember a couple of things about the parking lot. heh

I found this website http://members.cox.net/force-10 in the meantime which is fairly thorough and has more details about the 300×300. ‘Medium rare’ was news to me.

I figured out which 5 don’t have drivethrus. The first opened in 1984. I’ve been to them and was still clueless on the last 3. San Francisco, Glendale/Brand Ave., Mill Valley, Placentia & Laguna Hills

#73 by tingly — January 27, 2005 @ 12:52 am

74. Stopped in at the In and Out in Seal Beach and somehow managed to get down a 8×8. That was only about 5 hours ago too and I’m kinda hungry again!

#74 by Richard — February 24, 2005 @ 12:42 am

75. If you like your burger spicy ask for chili pepper with your grilled onions.

#75 by CL CHIC — March 20, 2005 @ 11:04 pm

76. I was recently at in n out, and i was puzzled because i was in the bathroom and the toilet paper had bible verses on them and i’m not sure if it’s only at the in n out i went to or any others but i’m wondering if those are some type of coupons or something for the store. Please let me know.

#76 by CL CHIC — March 20, 2005 @ 11:17 pm

77. I just thought of something and was wondering if you guys would like to join my experiment. I am doing a “Supersize Me” animal style. I am going to ask the cashier to “Animal Me” everytime I order something
    and when they call my number I’ll yell out “bingo or yahtzee” and see if they give me a free batch of fries. Don’t forget to animal yourself.

#77 by CL CHIC — March 20, 2005 @ 11:24 pm

78. You might get free stickers, paper hat, location guide and catalog. :) I keep wanting to post about other things besides secret menus, but I’ll be good.

I was AZ and tried the “medium rare” order. I knew it’s illegal in either NV or AZ so I took a chance. Turns out it’s AZ. D’oh! The cashier didn’t know cuz she had recently transferred from a CA store. That explained why she couldn’t find the medium rare button on her register.

I saw a few people getting little plastic cups of something. I figured they ordered sauce on the side. Some guy ordered extra lettuce/tomatoes as I walked by the drive thru, but I didn’t stick around to hear the order taker’s reply.

There is Phoenix Area Location Card, but the stores that advertised it gave me the new foldable type of location guides. I picked up Arizona and Nevada t-shirts on my travels.

I ordered “I’ll have an LTO to go.” The cashier looked confused, so I said “I’ll have a Wish Burger to go.” She still looked confused and replied “a Which Burger?” “Do you know what a veggie burger is? a veggie burger?” and that got it straightened out. I don’t think she was ever educated about the other names. “LTO” came from in-n-out, “wish” came from websites, but I guess all it says on registers is veggie.

I was looking as a receipt someone dropped and it said
    2 Easy #2
    3 CHB
    W
    > K only 1/2
    WO 1/2

What’s the “easy” mean? I figured the #2 is the #2 Meal.

The last 2 lines means no sauce, ketchup (no mustard) on half and an onion on the other half?

#78 by tingly — March 22, 2005 @ 3:45 pm

79. I’m from California, living in Pittsburgh, PA so it’s torture reading all this great In-N-Out info, because when the INO urge strikes I have to cook up a double-double myself!!! Is it even possible to imitate perfection, you ask? If you get the right ingredients you can come close…

Ground chuck for the patties, flattened very thin and heavily salted when cooking. The salt seems to be key to getting a flavor that resembles the real thing.

Kraft Deli Deluxe American cheese, which is basically double the width of regular singles, melted on the patties while cooking.

Sweet onions – white or Vidalia.

Iceberg lettuce as fresh and crisp as possible. The lettuce has to crunch or it’s not even worth trying…

Thousand Island dressing, which is runnier than the ‘spread’ but I can’t come up with anything better. Hmm…maybe I’ll thicken it up with relish next time.

Hold the tomatoes.

The right buns are really tough to find. INO says they use sponge dough but I’ll be damned if I can find a bag of buns that claims to be that. Anyway, the buns must be toasted on the grill.

Put it all together just like it looks in the pictures and I got something to tide me over until the next trip home when I can get the real thing!

#79 by rollingrock — March 23, 2005 @ 9:01 pm

80. Pittsburg, CA’s in-n-out isn’t close enough, eh? Click on the tips/notes link at the bottom if this page for more.

#80 by tingly — March 26, 2005 @ 3:33 pm

81. Of this page too.

#81 by tingly — March 27, 2005 @ 1:16 am

82. um Pittsburg PA, not CA rollingrock said! Anyway, I just found out about the secret menu the other day when I went to the new INO here in Reno and I heard 3 different ppl order ‘animal style’. i was watching the osbornes a couple of weeks ago also and kelly ordered a ‘protein style’ but I thought that was one of the goofy california things that isn’t for real anywhere else. I am dying to go back to INO and order animal style!!!! I can actually taste the burger just thinking about it!!!

#82 by NVGal — March 30, 2005 @ 3:45 pm

83. Heh, ya almost got the joke. Millbrae (#190) has their grand opening this morning/Thursday.

#83 by tingly — March 31, 2005 @ 12:09 am

84. just tried animal style.. no noticeable difference except it’s messier, tastes the same if you ask me. disappointment!

#84 by NVGal — March 31, 2005 @ 5:40 pm

85. For me, animal style mainly makes the meat moister. Try asking for whole or chopped grilled onions, ketchup and mustard instead (of spread), chilis, variations like that for different tastes.

#85 by tingly — April 1, 2005 @ 12:17 am

86. Oh look the secret menu is on their website :-] http://www.in-n-out.com/html/frm_secretmenu.html (partially)

#86 by Johnny Cat — April 6, 2005 @ 12:29 am

87. a teensy bit more in the trademark part http://www.in-n-out.com/html/legal.html

#87 by berol — April 7, 2005 @ 1:49 pm

88. Pretty savy marketing, the “secret” menu. May have started with customers, but they didn’t have any problems trademarking the terms! Still great stuff!

Eating an extra toasted, 2×3, grilled onion and mustard right now. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

#88 by eating one now — April 12, 2005 @ 7:50 pm

89. I’d love to grab a burger right now, starvin’.

Since you can order shirts with your burgers, so far I’ve found them with “California,” “Arizona,” “Nevada,” plus “Las Vegas” and “Fisherman’s Wharf” (San Fran.) on the front. any others?

I went to Millbrae on Saturday cuz it’s funny to see how extra jovial the cashiers are for the first month. They oughta be after beating out 1100 people for the job. I was wearing an in-n-out shirt and the guy said he liked it. I asked if I won anything, free shirt? He said something like ‘if only,’ handed me my receipt and said i was #21. I said ‘blackjack! 21!’ and he said ‘a winner!’ He shoulda given me stickers, a hat, a location guide, a water cup, ketchup, mustard, salt and pepper and whatever else is free. heh.

Manteca (#191) opened today if anyone wants to experience newbies. One by Phoenix is next.

#89 by tingly — April 12, 2005 @ 11:43 pm

90. tingly- the “easy” is supposed to just be like, oh i’ll have a #3 which is a hamburger, fries, and a drink… but since theres new things (animal style burger & fries, cheese on fries, fries with spread, fries well, fries light, shakes instead of soda, large, extra large, milk, coffee, etc) its not so much “easy” anymore with all the changes you’d make to that order. those lines are actually misinterpreted.. each burger MUST have its own condition… 3 cheeseburgers, 3 conditions:
    W – With onions and everything else
    > K only 1/2 – ketchup only, cut the burger in half (pain in the ass to do)
    WO 1/2 – Without onions (but everything else, including the “spread” or “secret sauce” as some customers call it (LOL)), cut in half

wish burger and LTO is not the common jargon anymore, and yes, it does say “veggie” on the menu screen (which are a pain in the ass to make)

rolling rock – the reason why you can’t find those buns is because you can’t find bread without preservatives in a local grocery store (damn you stupid hfcs)… try looking for a sponge dough bun with no preservatives at a health food store.. you might have more luck… and use steak meat for your burger and grind it up somehow… more authentic to the beef we use…. use white onions and don’t use the greenest part of the iceberg since it tastes different… also we don’t use “salt” but instead a salt mixture which contains salt, pepper, cottonseed oil (same stuff that we cook the fries in), and one other ingredient which has slipped my mind…. its mostly salt though

any more questions?

#90 by lyn — May 2, 2005 @ 9:04 pm

91. Also, the top secret recipies makes it a bit different….. throw the meat ( 1/8th of a pound each), salt, cook on the first side for 1:20 while the buns are toasting…. then flip, add the cheese, if you’re making a dbl dbl, then put the slice of onion on the top meat patty (one on top of the other one, assuming you stacked them vertically) and the top bun on the bottom patty…. dress the bottom half of your bun while you wait….. pull the burger at 4:20 by lifting the first patty (with the bun), placing it on the second on (on top with the onion), and then lifting that to place on your bottom bun which is already beautifully dressed…… for a cheese/hamburger, just put the onion and bun on the same patty… at least the site got the order of the ingredients right…

#91 by lyn — May 2, 2005 @ 9:10 pm

92. sorry, forgot to add something…. that would be at 349-351 degrees…. if its not that hot then cook it longer on each side a bit (same proportions if its an 1/8th of a pound)

#92 by lyn — May 2, 2005 @ 9:11 pm

93. Has anyone ever heard of a Doggy Style burger??

#93 by Mich — May 8, 2005 @ 11:49 pm

94. Yeah, that’s when In-n-Out runs out of beef. Heh, actually they might be Flying Dutchmans cuz they’re ordered for dogs.

Thanks again, Lyn. My INO geek meter went up another 3 points. ;^)

#94 by tingly — May 10, 2005 @ 8:42 pm

95. HI, HOW R U TODAY? We work for in-n-out and its our first time at this site. we enjoyed reading the comments above they were interesting. We just wanted to say we can make ur buger any way u want weither u want ur onion different, no tomato, k and m instead of spread, chillies on ur burger. chz on ur fries no problem as long as ur happy and living our store with a smile and will be coming back. We’ll mix any soda u want weither its coke and diet or rootbear and Dr. Pepper or u want a rootbear float with dr. pepper instead of rootbear or chocolate shake instead of vanilla in ur rooterfloat, no problem. we just have some things labbed as animal style or proten style to make it easier to order. i mean it maybe a little bit more work of us but our checks we get every two weeks are made by the customer and we do all this work with a smile on my face. We get good pay and work with a lot of our friends we work hard and have fun when we do it. So dont be shy if u want ur burger, fries, or drinks a certain way just ask and dont worry we wont think ur stupid or dumb or anything we are there to get ur food out fast, hot, fresh and delicious weither its the drive or dine-in just ask. One more thing i have to say store 116 is the best!!!

#95 by M&T — May 15, 2005 @ 9:36 pm

96. But #116 doesn’t have Lyn. And it’s in Elk Grove! At least it’s not Barstow. I can nail down the t-shirt question a little. The t-shirt plastic bags have codes on them like if AZ is circled, you know it’s an Arizona shirt inside. There is also CA (both calif & wharf), LV (vegas), NV (nevada) and SC. What’s SC?

BTW, the brand new website’s store has started selling Vegas shirts and inandout.com only indirectly takes you to in-n-out.com these days.

#96 by tingly — May 16, 2005 @ 1:07 am

97. I found the answer. From ebay items, it’s gotta be Southern California. One says it’s on a sweatshirt, another says on a tee.

#97 by tingly — May 16, 2005 @ 11:21 pm

98. yes, SC does stand for Southern California. In-N-Out is kinda divided like that… nor cal, so cal, az and lv for depending on where you’re at you’ll go to a certain company picnic at that particular time… can’t wait until aug 2/3!!! btw, where’s 116 located?

#98 by lyn — May 24, 2005 @ 3:06 pm

99. 116 is Elk Grove (south of Sacramento.)

#99 by tingly — May 25, 2005 @ 1:07 am

100. a new code that no one knows is;

666 by 666(devils delight)

(six pickles and six patties)

trust me i thought this was crazy untill i went to in-n-out and got one my self. try it!

#100 by roughty mcgee — July 11, 2005 @ 8:38 pm

101. a new code that no buddy knows is:

POOP

(patty& onion& onion& patty)

thats all no bun or anything just 2pattys with 2raw onions

#101 by bobaloo — July 11, 2005 @ 8:49 pm

102. in-n-out announced that #200 is going to Morgan Hill, a few minutes north of where #100 went, Gilroy. They had special pen/pencil sets for #100.

#102 by tingly — August 4, 2005 @ 12:11 pm

103. I was wrong. It’s gonna be at 21620 Valley Blvd.; City of Industry, CA; fairly near where restaurant #1 is.

#103 by tingly — October 14, 2005 @ 3:37 pm

104. Willy, from San Francisco, just reposted his Halloween 2004 order of a 100×100 from In-N-Out with a bunch of his friends. Check it out at http://whatupwilly.blogspot.com/2006/01/in-n-out-100×100.html.

#104 by Nugget — January 27, 2006 @ 2:32 pm

105. Don’t forget to add “chopped chillies” to your burger! Wooo Spicy!

#105 by Saint — August 5, 2006 @ 1:36 pm

106. In the “Pickles” episode of SpongeBob SquarePants, a large fish named Bubble Bass orders a “Double Triple Barfie Deluxe, on a raft, 4×4 animal style, extra shingles with a shimmy and a squeeze, light axle grease, make it cry, burn it and let it swim”

woohoo!

#106 by tiffia — October 3, 2007 @ 11:02 pm

107. thanks

#107 by Patrick — October 4, 2007 @ 4:09 pm

108. I just want to say that in n out is the best!,
    and I love the detail about the Bible verses
    and all the mystery with the secret menu
    it’s awesome !
    so seriously guys is it true that you can get free fries if you say a secret code ???

#108 by Maryell — December 9, 2007 @ 3:50 am

109. Hi. I work at in n out burger and you have some of the “secret” menu stuff wrong. First of all, it’s not call “Tea-ade” it’s called an Arnold Palmer. Arnold would always come into in n out and order an iced tea/lemonade so they named it after him. Secondly there is no such thing as “on the sal” we just call that a burger with no onions or tomato, or spread and lettuce only.

#109 by katrina james — June 16, 2008 @ 1:04 pm

110. Can I order a burger and fries over the internet and have it delivered FedEx?

#110 by Joe L — June 30, 2009 @ 12:33 am

111. For a history of IN-N-OUT and the Snyder family, get the book “In-N-Out Burger: A Behind-the-Counter Look at the Fast-Food Chain That Breaks All the Rules” by Stacy Perman.

ISBN-10: 0061346713
    ISBN-13: 978-0061346712

#111 by RocketBrew — July 21, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

112. Root Beer floats!! (Or any type of float)
    They’ll mix any drinks you request and any combination of shakes.

#112 by Sara — July 17, 2011 @ 12:44 am

113. Two weeks ago I saw someone order a 4×4 animal. He brought it back to his table opened it up, then opened a small thermos and dumped chili on it. Then he hit it with some Louisiana Hot Sauce. It looked and smelled AWESOME.

#113 by Matthew — November 14, 2012 @ 11:28 pm