The latest survey conducted by the National Geographic Society showed that 11% of Americans between the ages of 18-24 cannot find the United States on a global map! Check out the rest of the statistics below:

87% cannot find Iraq
83% cannot find Afghanistan
76% cannot find Saudi Arabia
70% cannot find New Jersey
49% cannot find New York

What the fuck!? I am so disappointed. What, if anything, are children learning in grammar school and high school? I understand that this country’s culture thrives on isolation and an “ignorance is bliss” mentality but these numbers are just downright shocking. This isn’t ignorance, it’s stupidity. You would think that with the popularity of the Sopranos that more people would be able to find New Jersey. Thinking globally, Americans are idiots–the numbers don’t lie. Something needs to change.

Another interesting fact discovered by the survey is that Swedish people are not only gorgeous, they are bright too. They scored the highest, identifying 13 of 16 countries on the average–apparently there are no “dumb blondes” in Sweden, just here.

1. The results of this survey do not surprise me. Americans have always been known to be intellectual equals with baked yams.

#1 by Meerenai — November 21, 2002 @ 12:10 pm

2. I meant “TO baked yams.”

I guess this illustrates my previous point.

#2 by Meerenai — November 21, 2002 @ 12:11 pm

3. Coddling our youth is definitely not working. Parents need to take responsibility as well. Most of a kid’s learning experiences happen at home, but you couldn’t tell by looking. People without parenting, communication, or problem-solving skills are raising a bunch of ignorant, stupid fools that can’t find the U.S. on a map.

The bottom line. Collectively, America doesn’t really care about education. This is why America’s education sucks.

#3 by Nugget — November 22, 2002 @ 3:43 am

4. The scary part is that the people surveyed are college-aged. Probably high school graduates that are pursuing their degrees at some post-secondary institution. It’s a wonder that they can even get admitted into a college, let alone be successful in school.

Jay Leno has a bit where he goes to college graduations with pictures of former presidents and famous locations. He asks a random smattering of college grads to identify the people or places pictured. You would be amazed at how many college graduates can’t identify Franklin D. Roosevelt or Mt. Rushmore.

I put most of the blame on our education system. We’ve spent too many resources and too much time fostering creativity in our children without teaching them fundamental facts about our country and the rest of the world. While at iMind, I met too many parents that didn’t understand why their kids couldn’t read or do math. Perhaps it’s because the school wants to make the child feel good about him/herself, rather than teaching him/her how to be an educated and self-sufficient individual.

That’s just my take on it.

#4 by jimnice — November 22, 2002 @ 11:48 am

5. not just americas education sucks
    the whole damn country sucks and if i got the chance i would kick george w. bush in the juck

#5 by tim longstaff — November 5, 2003 @ 1:26 am

6. You think this is bad? Just take a look at how horrific our math and science scores are, and then you’ll see how bad things are… The sad truth is, at most U.S. high schools, 99% of the money there goes towards athletics, band, and special education. The math, science, social studies, and English departments get next to nothing.

#6 by Joe — February 26, 2004 @ 6:15 am

7. I am teaching a sophomore electrical engineering class. I failed half the class in the first test because they were not able to write a simple equation. Being the americans that they are, they of course complained. I was strongly persuaded by my department to pass them and so I did. That’s american education at its best. We have idiots working as professionals. It is not wonder out jobs are heading overseas.

#7 by teacher — March 5, 2004 @ 5:32 am

8. I am a sophomore in high school in Berkshire County, Massachusetts. I attend a public school, which is supposedly the county’s best. I have attended several other schools throughout my academic career as well. All I have to say about American Education is that I am in a box. I am trapped. I see every day, some of the brightest kids I know deemed “failures.” These are kids who think creatively and have strong opinions, and if they had the ambition, could ace school without any problem. The issue though, is that they are so incredibly bored with the routine schedule and the grueling hours of homework and the practice of memorizing formulas and definitions that they become zombies who can barely drag themselves out of bed. The ambition disappears when the stimulation does. When someone learns something, they are inspired by it. They think about it and reason with it. I can tell you from experience that that RARELY happens in high school. THAT is what needs to be fixed.

#8 by Sarah — June 2, 2004 @ 3:05 am

9. I lived in Sweden for 20 years and I agree with the comment, “there are no dumb blondes in Sweden, only in America.” Where is the sense in an African American trying to “catch up” with an ignorant college graduate? It is a joke.

#9 by jerry harris — June 24, 2004 @ 2:28 am

10. I work in Elementary school. I came to this country from Europe 5 years ago with zero English. I All this is true. I arrived to go to work, college, do housework. I cannot believe that there are people that have lived in US most of their life and still do not speak English. I understand that majority in this country are Latinos. What I cannot understand is don’t they have respect for themselves. All they think is how to eat, have sex and have thousand babies. How can this people give thier children education when they need to be educated in a fist place. And I want to say that education come from the family.

#10 by Monica Hakobyan — October 13, 2004 @ 9:53 am

11. Back in the 1990s I read some stats that showed the US ranked 13th in education. That meant that 12 other countries scored higher. I shudder to think how low it is now.

I just saw an ABC report on the growing crisis of students cheating in college, paying people to write papers for them, bringing answers to class, etc. These kids may not be interested in all this but its just making our country as a whole dumber, dumber as we become more arrogant.

Becuase people in the US today think more about fame and fortune and popularity, they don’t realize there is a world around the US. These ignorant kids will sooner or later realize they threw their own country away when our little bubble world comes crashing down. Then all the popularity in the world won’t help them.

David Sawyer

#11 by David Sawyer — November 22, 2004 @ 6:14 am

12. Oh! this is the scenario in U.S. but still why so many international students come to USA? Dont they know that it sucks out there???

#12 by Uday Patadia — February 28, 2005 @ 9:41 pm

13. Elementary and secondary education sucks. However, America’s college education sets the standard for the rest of the world. Bottom line, foreign students don’t come here to go to high school. Perhaps you missed the point of the post.

#13 by Nugget — March 1, 2005 @ 1:40 am

14. Dear Sir, AHMED MUSAH
    PO,BOXKS11396
    ADUM KUMASIGHANA
    APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION.
    I wish to apply for an admission in your school.My name is Ahemd Musah.I am a student in Ghana,I wish to further my edication in your institution,so i am writing this letter to get information about your admission.I hope my request will be granted.Thank you and hoping to hear from you soon.

Yours Faithfully,
    Ahmed Musah

#14 by Ahmed Musah — March 11, 2005 @ 2:24 pm

15. Well now…isnt it beyond ironic when a Norwegian Exchange student comes to the US and knows more of US history and god only knows European and Ancient History than the Whole Senior class that lived here for 18 years…hahahaha its sad if i didnt laugh about it i would grow Morbidly depressed how this country is turning into a decadent, arrogant, Ignorant, pompus nation of bib wearing babies. I say this being im a Senior i see the foolish escapades of Highschool Educational System. I grow tired of Stuffing my brain with useless regurgitational information that would only help a baboon on Jeapardy. Abstract Thinking HA that is nonexistant and forget about LOGIC, those greeks were on to something but in the Department of Educations almighty wisdom began teaching via non challenging worksheets instead of Debates or Intresting Class discussion…i had a Teacher a Government Teacher he made me think he would lecture everyday all class but he made it intresting and come alive and made us write essays out of class but i simply loved it as School goes i got a B in that class even though the work challenged me he made me seriously consider political office and such…its not the Teachers Fault although how bad they may be the ones that are truely bad i mean there are many a good one i have encountered few myself. Education is to Blame the Beuacracy or however its spelled destroys all it touches and Parents as well need to take more time educating there Children. If i did all my learning at my school id have the Vocabulary of a Typical Blues Clues Episode. 90 percent of what i know Came from outside. School is just there to teach you how to learn basics Read and Write and Basic math so you have the tools to learn. But thats just my rant….

#15 by xXLycurgusXx — April 13, 2005 @ 9:48 pm

16. It’s the money! It’s all about the money. Schools with higher test scores get more money, so they often “forget” to tell kids with bad grades about the SAT’s. I know about this secondhand, since I go to a GOOD private school (not ‘good’ as in yuppie prep school, ‘good’ as in progressive, and 99.5% of our graduates get accepted into the first college of their choice). I went to public school kindergarten through half of seventh grade, and it was fine for a while. I was reading at a ninth grade level in third grade. I’ve always been perceptive and intelligent, but only a few teachers realized it, and actually challenged me. When I went to middle shcool, I was in an advanced program, but I had no connection with my teachers, so my grades plummeted. I got A’s in all of my classes that weren’t in the advanced program, and F’s in all of those that were. Now I’m going into my junior year at a school where, if you want to learn something, they’ll find someone to teacher you. I’ve already gotten most of my college credits, and I have good relationships with all my teachers. Schools dependent on the government just can’t get the same results.

#16 by redrabbit — June 15, 2005 @ 7:54 pm

17. Oh, and the reason the government won’t give up enough cash so that we actually can be educated is because of the baby boom. After WWII, when America was prospering from victory, and the population was growing, the education system suddenly became top priority. But when the intelligence of the baby boomers lead them to protest, you know, that one war going on half way around the world, the government realized they’d rather have braindead citizens who voted as they were told and bought whatever bright images from the television reflected off their dilated pupils.

#17 by redrabbit — June 15, 2005 @ 8:19 pm

18. its pathetic. i was skipping through channel one night and stumbeled on a show on MTV called “High School Stories: Scandals, Pranks & Controversies”.
    That is stuff going on in public schools

#18 by popo — June 23, 2008 @ 12:16 pm

19. In 2002 I went to a University (masters degree) in US but sorry to say this my friends I had to “run away” in two weeks because my classmates had very low level of education (they ask silly and obvious things to the teacher) and I could not stand the very simple lessons. In South America we have a more exigent University System and I could not fit in this system I had to leave the class, sorry but I was looking for more knowledge not for less.

#19 by Jorge — September 23, 2008 @ 9:10 am

20. this survey surprises me. Im a highschool (in america) student 11th grade i probably know the location of more countries than the average adult. I would say that 85% of the kids in my school know all of these locations too.

#20 by Zach — April 7, 2010 @ 3:26 pm

21. I am a returning adult student that has strong opinions on education. I am not a theorist or a true academic, however I know that I am educated and understand the severity of the U.S.’s situation.

I grew up with teachers that developed the imagination and encouraged your abilities. For those teachers, becoming a teacher was not an easy accomplishment. We need to begin looking at our educaters and making sure that they are the creme de la creme. I know several freinds of mine that do not belong being a teacher, they are some of the dumbest people I know!

In several behavioral classes that I have taken, it is understood that people learn in different ways on on many levels. Why are we not utilizing our own knowledge? Something needs to happen, because I do not feel comforatable putting my children in the system we currently have!

#21 by Returing Adult — February 25, 2011 @ 10:25 am