Stinky Bloom

People are flocking from all over the place to get to Encinitas, CA to smell the stink of a big flower. The flower does look pretty impressive, but there would be no way in hell that I’d travel to smell it. If I want to smell a “stinky bloom” I just eat a lot of beans and wait for the aftermath.

1. Dude, that ain’t a finger.

The scientific name of the plant is “Amorphallus titanum.” That’s Latin for: “Not only does this plant look like a dick, it looks like a huge dick.”

#1 by Larry — July 17, 2002 @ 4:25 am

2. Thank you for telling me where this flower is. Everyone keeps asking me if that flower is in Ft. Lauderdale, but the only thing that stinks here is my job. Mad props to Fabe and Larry for all the geeky info.

#2 by Jimmy — July 17, 2002 @ 5:38 am

3. Actually let’s break it down:

“Amor” – Love
    “phallus” – Penis
    “Titanum” – Huge

So it’s Huge Love Dick. Elephants beware.

#3 by Nugget — July 18, 2002 @ 1:05 am

4. Dude, i was surfing online and I came across your site. pretty cool. The daily nugget section is totally rad. but i disagree with your comments on encino. you see…i’m from encino and the “stinky bloom” is the best thing that’s ever happend to our city. flower advocates come from all over the world to see the amorphophallus titanum flower!!! you have to check it out…its amazing!!! Maybe to outsiders…encino might seem a bit boring…but its the complete opposite. there’s great karioke bars, dirt bike trails, etc. I thought about moving out of town, but I’ve decided to stay put at the Mourningside Trailer and Mobile Facility. Great Staff and great neighbors.
    john

#4 by john — July 18, 2002 @ 1:22 am

5. Encino-dude, I don’t know what’s smelly, looks like a big dick and attracts crowds in Encino, but the Amorphophallus titanum is in Encinitas.

#5 by Larry — July 18, 2002 @ 8:08 am